Find the solution to the most common problems and issues with your Wemo devices. Lights, switches, dimmers and more
These are the most common problems and issues you can have with your wemo devices
- How to set up your Wemo devices
- What means the lights in my wemo devices
- How to factory reset my wemo device
- How to factory reset my wemo lights
- Wemo device is blinking orange and can't connect to my wifi network
- Wemo device not detected or unreachable
- Wemo Bridge says "No Response" in the Apple Home app
- Wemo dimmer flicks
- Wemo link doesn’t discover my lights
- Wemo devices drop off frequently
- Avoid wifi repeaters if possible
- Can Wemo work on 220 ?
- How to reset the wemo light switch?
Keep reading this guide and see how you can solve all of them
1. How to set up your Wemo devices
1. Connect your Wemo device
Firstly, you need to connect your Wemo device to the current and turn it on. This will make your Wemo device create a WiFi network that we will be using in the next steps to configure the device in our WiFi home network.
In case you’re connecting Wemo lights, you need to connect the Wemo link to current and also turn on all lights.
2. Configure your Wemo devices using the Wemo App
Install the Wemo App you’ll find in the Playstore and Appstore.
Open it and create an account. Then, select the devices you’re configuring. Follow all steps according to the Wemo App to connect your Wemo device to your network.
During the configuration process, you will be asked to connect to the Wemo network it was created before. Finally, you have to provide your home network WiFi credentials, so the Wemo devices can connect to it.
In case you have any problem during the setup process, check the next section and look for the issue you’re having.
3. Alternatives to the Wemo official App
There are some great alternatives to the Wemo official App. Here we’ll show some of them:
Yeti allows you to connect and control your Wemo devices and the rest of your smart home devices like lights, thermostats, speakers...using a single interface
Wemo users have reported that reliability with the Yeti app is even better than using the official app.
Control +: Control your Wemo devices using the Apple smartwatch. Only available for iOS
2. Wifi Light status indicator
All Wemo devices have a led that will show the current status of the devices. This can let us know what can be going on with it. So in case, our Wemo device is not detected or unreachable, this will help us to find a solution.
- WiFfi indicator is set to green and blinking: The Wemo Light Switch is starting up, connecting or undergoing firmware update.
Don’t power off your device while firmware update is ongoing.
- WiFi indicator is set to Green and solid then turns OFF: The Wemo Light Switch has established a stable connection.
Great! Your Wemo device should work as expected
- WiFi indicator is set to Orange and blinking: The Wemo Light Switch is not connected to the WiFi.
This can be because of a network issue. Check the issue “My Wemo device is blinking orange”
3. How to reset Wemo devices to factory
For every Wemo device but lights, you need to find the reset button in the physical device and follow these steps:
1 Press the reset button once and release
2. Press the reset button and hold for 5 seconds
3. Your Wemo WiFi light indicator will start blinking orange and green
4. Reset Wemo smart lights
1. Turn on your light
2. Turn off for 1 second
3. Turn on for 3-4 seconds
4. Repeat step 2 and 3 twice
After the last on status, the light will blink 4 times indicating it was reset successfully
5. Wemo device is blinking orange and can't connect to my wifi network
If your Wemo device is blinking orange it’s because the wemo device can’t connect to your WiFi network.
If this happened during the setup process, make sure that you introduced your WiFi credentials properly. Also, try to connect your devices in a 2.4Ghz network instead of a 5Ghz network.
If your Wemo device was already set up properly, try to unplug and plug your Wemo device again. It will try to reconnect to your network again. If the light indicator doesn’t change the status, please check that your WiFi network is working or reset your Wemo device.
6. Wemo device not detected or unreachable
If you’re having issues controlling you Wemo device using the official Wemo App, we encourage you to try the Yeti app and see if reliability improves.
Make sure that the Wemo device isn’t blinking orange (see the wifi light status indicator section). If so, try to restart the app.
If this doesn't work, try to unplug and plug your Wemo device again. Your wemo device will try to reconnect to your home network automatically.
7. Wemo Bridge says "No Response" in the Apple Home app
It seems to happen after a power outage so the bridge can't figure out how to re-connect. Also every time devices change their IP addresses this problem can show up. So that, Wemo devices will become unreachable in the Apple Home App.
To avoid this, you can reboot the Wemo bridge. However users reported they have to do this once a month or when the problem comes up.
Then, we highly encourage users to try Yeti, available for iOS here and see if the problem dissappears as we don't use the Wemo bridge to control Wemo devices.
8. Wemo dimmer flicks
Not all lights are compatible with the Wemo dimmer. Please see this list and make sure that your light is compatible with the Wemo Dimmer device.
Also, check that there isn’t any issue with the wire connection
9. Wemo link doesn’t discover my lights
You need to factory reset your lights and also the Wemo link. See how some sections above.
10. Wemo devices drop off frequently
Take a look at the wifi signal strength at that wemo device. A weak signal will cause it to go offline randomly
11. Avoid wifi repeaters if possible
Wemo users have reported that If you are having issues with your wemo devices and have a repeater then, that is more than likely the reason
12. Can Wemo work on 220 ?
It's not recommended to test a wemo device built for 100-110v on a 220v system. You can find more information here
13. How to reset the Wemo light switch?
The main reason because you may want to reset your light switch could be:
- Your wemo light switch doesn't respond to the app comand
- The green light never stops blinking
To reset your device, press the restart button (Button located on the right under the switch) and inmediately press the reset button (Button located on the left) during five seconds. After that, the light switch will start blinking green and orange telling you that the device is already reset.
I hope this guide can help you to solve all issues you can have with your wemo devices. If you have any other issue that it's not covered here, leave a comment so we will include it in this guide!
Thank you for reading ;)